Friday, July 5, 2013

Infertile Thinking

Throughout middle school and high school we were all told that if you have sex, you will get pregnant (and die! Hello, shameless Mean Girls reference), well once you realize that's not the case for everyone you begin to wonder what you're doing wrong.   You begin to wonder why it seems easy for everyone surrounding you, and why infertility is such a taboo topic.

Being diagnosed with infertility makes you start thinking about the future. A lot.  You begin to think about fertility treatments...How far are you willing to go?  Will you take medication?  Will you do IUI (Intrauterine insemination)? Will you do IVF (In Vitro Fertilization)?  What about freezing your eggs or embryos?

You begin to question what will happen if those treatments don't work.  Will you use a surrogate?  Will you adopt?  Will you decide to live your life without children?

Then there's the topic of donation.  You start to get offers from friends and family to give you sperm/eggs or even carry a child for you.  How far would you go?  Would you take your friend or family up on their offer?  Or would you rather use a stranger?

It can easily become overwhelming.  After a few tearful several hour long conversations with your partner, you think you have it figured out. But as time goes on, you become open to more.  After my first round of Clomid, Ryan and I decided that we would only do three doses of the medication because I experience many bad side effects while on it (mood swings, hot flashes, dizziness, abdominal pain, weight gain and blurred vision).  After the third dose, we took a small break and then did three more.  Then we took another small break and did three more rounds.

We were willing to live with the horrible side effects if it meant we might finally get pregnant.  And that's what it comes down to, you have to decide how much you're willing to put yourself through to have a chance at getting pregnant.  Ryan and I have decided to look at our options as they come.  We could keep drawing a line in the sand, but we feel we will just keeping pushing it back.  So for now, we're taking the steps as they come.
post signature

4 comments:

  1. I relate to so many aspects of this post! My husband and I have also been TTC for about a year and a half and it's incredible how I've gone from being so personally limited to my options to more open to the less conventional methods. I also have a blog that I started about 6 months ago that I think you might enjoy too :)
    I have recently tried exposing myself to more TTC'ers because it gets SO hard when you feel like NO ONE truly understands. It really does help to be able to swap stories and share all of the many ups and downs that go hand in hand with this difficult situation. If you'd like, I'd love to keep in touch and have someone to share this process with!

    My name is Jessicca and you can find me on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/jessicca.egts

    OR on my blog @ http://egtsttcjourney.blogspot.com/

    Sending lots of baby dust your way!! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessica! I can't wait to read through your blog! I love connecting with people who are ttc/struggling with infertility. You're right, it is amazingly helpful to have people to talk to that you can relate to.

      I am currently on a hiatus from facebook, but I will definitely look you up once I get back on. If you want to email me you can! My Email address is infertility.life.hope@gmail.com

      Sending baby dust your way, and wishing you the best of luck with your upcoming round of clomid! <3

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I just had a doctor's appointment on Monday and found out that I will start my 1st round of Clomid in October and I'm pretty anxious about it. My biggest fear is the side effects and re-reading your post made me wonder even more what it's like! Again, if you'd like to sort of have someone to talk to who is in the same boat, don't hesitate to contact me! :)

    ReplyDelete